Its appearance may be relatively flat and unthreatening, but when the wind picks up there is little to protect golfers, and negotiating the parched, bouncy fairways and greens is treacherous on a blustery summer's day.
In recent years, the esteemed links golf expert, Donald Steel, was commissioned to make alterations to ensure that Hoylake's layout remained relevant for the rigours of the modern game, especially in light of technological advancements. This has been achieved and was confirmed by the successful staging of the 2006 Open Championship, where in spite of benign conditions, a competitive tournament was won by an emotional Tiger Woods.
The 2014 Open Championship was won by Northern Ireland's Rory McIlroy. McIlroy's maiden Claret Jug was won in style with his -17 total for 72 holes being enough to hold off the chasing pack which included both Rickie Fowler and Sergio Garcia. His opening rounds included a pair of 66's to set up what was a memorable victory on The Wirral.
Royal Liverpool looks set to draw yet further attention to its fast-running links with the news that it will play host to The 2022 Open Championship. As one of the best attended Open Championship venues and a rich golfing history that boasts a pedigree of champion that few golf courses can compete with, we're set for a superb showing of golf's oldest major championship once more.
There are some intimidating holes at this Open Championship course, not least the monstrous 8th; 1930 Open Champion took 8 en route to his legendary victory. Hoylake should be a certain stop on the tour of North-West England's excellent golfing trail.
Bobby Jones won the Open Championship at Hoylake in 1930 as part of his historic grand slam; that year he won the amateur and open championships of both Britain and America, a feat so great that he promptly retired.
||Robert Chambers, George Morris, Harry Colt
|Opened for play
Previous Winner's of The Open Championship at Royal Liverpool
- Harold Hilton - Year won: 1897 - Winning score: 314
- Sandy Herd - Year won: 1902 - Winning score: 307
- Arnaud Massy - Year won: 1907 - Winning score: 312
- J.H. Taylor - Year won: 1913 - Winning score: 304
- Walter Hagen - Year won: 1024 - Winning score: 301
- Bobby Jones - Year won: 1930 - Winning score: 291
- Alf Padgham - Year won: 1936 - Winning score: 287
- Fred Daly - Year won: 1947 - Winning score: 293
- Peter Thomson - Year won: 1956 - Winning score: 286
- Roberto De Vicenzo - Year won: 1967 - Winning score: 278
- Tiger Woods - Year won: 2006 - Winning score: 270
- Rory McIlroy - Year won: 2014 - Winning score: 271
Royal Liverpool is ranked as one of the best courses in England