Royal St Georges Golf Club is well regarded as one of the best golf courses in Kent. As an Open Championship venue that has seen a host of world-class Champion golfers claim the Claret Jug since it's 1st hosting of The Open in 1894.
Playing the course is something that all golfers should seek to do as part of a memorable links golf experience. As part of a very select number of Open Rota Courses, Royal St Georges is the only golf course south of Liverpool that has held golf's original major championship.
Located less than 30 minutes from Dover and around 2 hours from Central London, this South East gem provides a fantastic treat for your next golf tour with Prince's Golf Club and Royal Cinque Ports also within 10 minutes.
||Dr. Laidlaw Purves
|Opened for play
||14 Open Championships
Signature hole: par 4, 4th hole
At 495 yards, the fourth is an intimidating prospect, especially when confronted with the towering bunker inset in the hill in front of the tee. Once on the fairway, the mid-iron approach will have to contend with a deep depression in the front-left quarter of the green.
Kent's finest is rightly heralded as one of the jewels in the crown of British golf, and any player fortunate enough to visit will surely understand why St. George's receives such mighty plaudits. The driveway and the clubhouse offer an insight into the austerity and tradition that are inherent to the club, but it is not until you follow the opening fairway into the myriad of towering sand dunes that St. George's reveals its true character.
The magical holes are carved through the mounds and hills, offering a fantastically diverse challenge; the bunkers are deep and steeply revetted, the rough is extremely punitive, and the magnificent undulating greens are immaculate.The outward nine is the more picturesque, while the closing stretch is one of the most demanding in world golf, presenting a truly unique challenge. The golf course is combined with rich history and tradition at St. George's, which is one of life's most memorable golfing experiences.
Previous Winner's of The Open Championship at Royal St George's
- Darren Clarke - Year won: 2011 - Winning score: 275
- Ben Curtis - Year won: 2003 - Winning score: 283
- Greg Norman - Year won: 1993 - Winning score: 267
- Sandy Lyle - Year won: 1985 - Winning score: 282
- Bill Rogers - Year won: 1981 - Winning score: 276
- Bobby Locke - Year won: 1949 - Winning score: 283
- Reg Whitcombe - Year won: 1938 - Winning score: 295
- Henry Cotton - Year won: 1934 - Winning score: 283
- Walter Hagen - Year won: 1928 - Winning score: 292
- Walter Hagen - Year won: 1922 - Winning score: 300
- Harry Vardon - Year won: 1911 - Winning score: 303
- Jack White - Year won: 1904 - Winning score: 296
- Harry Vardon - Year won: 1899 - Winning score: 310
- J.H. Taylor - Year won: 1894 - Winning score: 326
Royal St. George's is ranked as one of the best courses in the UK